Utah Public Health Association Calls for Stricter Public Health Measures as COVID-19 Cases Surge
UPHA Commends Governor Herbert for Implementing COVID-19 Transmission Index and Recommends Further Action in a Time of Crisis - Find the full October 28, 2020 statement HERE.
During this unprecedented threat to the public’s health, the Utah Public Health Association stands behind Utah’s public health workers who work continuously to create conditions where all Utahans can be as healthy as possible. UPHA is committed to the health and safety of all communities and shares our concern for humanity at this time. We lean on our guiding principles to support our community. We reaffirm, especially during this great public health crisis, our commitment to:
- Advocating for sound public health policy
- Ensuring a healthy and safe environment by supporting people to “stay safe and stay home”
- Informing and engaging the community about public health issues and disseminating accurate information to diverse communities
- Supporting the public health workforce who is working tirelessly to mitigate COVID-19
- Championing health equity and social justice so that the greatest burden of COVID-19 does not fall on our most vulnerable citizens, and
- Promoting access to health care – because no one deserves to suffer without care, or care that is much too costly
The Utah Public Health Association (UPHA) is a leader in promoting public health, advocating for sound public health policy, and providing professional development opportunities for the public health community. Our 200+ members include public health professionals, health educators, doctors, nurses, community leaders, students, and citizens committed to improving the health of Utahns.
If you are not yet a member of UPHA, we encourage you to join and get involved. There are many opportunities available to anyone with an interest in promoting and protecting public health. You can add your voice to advocacy initiatives about pressing public health issues, attend or even help to plan one of our professional development events, apply for a community grant, join a Section or Special Interest Group to focus on a specific public health issue, sit on a committee, volunteer as an intern, and much more! Explore the website to find out more about what we do and how you can be a part of our public health community.
Who We Are?
UPHA is a leader in public health advocacy, improving public health practice, and providing professional development opportunities for members and the public health community. Founded in 1916, UPHA is the largest public health organization in Utah and is an affiliate of the American Public Health Association. Our members include professionals from a variety of sectors all committed to improving the health of Utahns.
OUR VISIONUPHA strives to:
- Advocate sound public health policy
- Ensure a healthy and safe environment
- Promote community and population health
- Inform and engage the community about public health issues
- Support and develop the public health workforce
- Champion health equity and social justice
- Promote access to health care
President’s Message With the summer almost behind us, now is a great time to get involved with the Utah Public Health Association (UPHA). If you are not a member yet, we invite you to join us. UPHA is an organization that supports the development of the public health workforce and as such provides opportunities for […]
President’s Message August is here and the UPHA Board is gearing up for getting back to meetings (virtual) and addressing public health issues in Utah (COVID will no doubt be among them). Even though the UPHA Board takes some time off over the summer, we have been working behind the scenes on special projects. We […]
President’s Message What an unprecedented year 2020 has been so far! This year has moved public health to the front of the stage, ready or not. Although we are in new territory we understand how to educate, assess, develop, adapt, comfort, lead, direct, evaluate, study and define. These skills allow us to handle whatever comes […]